STAND. COM. REP. NO. 81
RE: H.B. No. 576
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health, to which was referred H.B. No. 576 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO BIRDS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Adopting the amendment proposed by the Department of Land and Natural Resources and applying the department's definition of "feral" to the definition of "feral bird;"
(2) Adopting the amendment, proposed by Hawaii Pest Control Association, to exempt providing food to birds as a baiting mechanism from the excessive feeding prohibition;
(3) Establishing a task force in the Department of Health to develop a plan for the enforcement of the provisions of this measure in conjunction with the Department of Land and Natural Resources, Department of Agriculture, and representatives from each county;
(4) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to promote further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
Your Committee recognizes that the presence of excessive numbers of feral birds is an urgent and statewide issue that requires coordination across multiple agencies and levels of government. Your Committee believes that the creation of a task force to create a comprehensive enforcement plan will address the enforcement concerns raised by the Department of Health in their testimony.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 576, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 576, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health,
JOHN M. MIZUNO, Chair