STAND. COM. REP. NO. 125
RE: H.B. No. 550
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection, to which was referred H.B. No. 550 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO RENEWABLE ENERGY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Amend the renewable portfolio standard interim goals for 2030 and 2040 to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy;
(2) Amend the definition of renewable portfolio standard to more accurately reflect the percentage of renewable energy used in the State; and
(3) Establish gas utility company renewable portfolio standards for electricity generation.
The Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism, Sierra Club of Hawai‘i, League of Women Voters of Hawaii, 350Hawaii.org, The Alliance for Solar Choice, Blue Planet Foundation, Elemental Excelerator, O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, Our Revolution Hawaii, Organizing for Action, We are One, Inc., and many individuals supported this measure. The Department of Transportation, Ulupono Initiative, Life of the Land, and Hawaii Solar Energy Association supported the intent of this measure. The Hawaiian Electric Company, Maui Electric Company, Hawai‘i Electric Light Company, Hawaii Gas, The Chamber of Commerce Hawaii, Hawaii Teamsters and Allied Workers, Local 996, Hawai‘i Lodging & Tourism Association, and many individuals opposed this measure. The Public Utilities Commission, Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs' Division of Consumer Advocacy, and Land Use Research Foundation of Hawaii provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Removing its substantive contents except for the provision which amends section 269-92, Hawaii Revised Statutes, relating to renewable portfolio standards;
(2) Requiring the Public Utilities Commission to study the feasibility of implementing renewable portfolio standards to encourage the use of renewable energy by gas utility companies;
(3) Amending the renewable portfolio standards formula for electric utility companies to only apply to the goals for 2030, 2040, and 2045;
(4) Appropriating an unspecified amount of funds to the Public Utilities Commission to conduct the renewable gas portfolio standards study;
(5) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2100, to encourage further discussion; and
(6) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 550, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 550, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection,
NICOLE E. LOWEN, Chair