STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1514
RE: H.B. No. 533
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Technology and Energy, Economic Development, and Tourism, to which was referred H.B. No. 533, H.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO BROADBAND,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Establish the Hawaii Broadband Office within the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism;
(2) Establish the position of State Broadband Strategy Officer;
(3) Require the Director of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism to convene and chair the Broadband Advisory Council; and
(4) Rename the Broadband Assistance Advisory Council as the Broadband Advisory Council and amend its purpose and membership.
Your Committees received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism; Department of Education; Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs' Cable Television Division; Economic Development Alliance of Hawaii; and Oahu Economic Development Board.
Your Committees find that there is a strong relationship between broadband access and economic development, education, health, community building, and civic engagement throughout the State. Your Committees find that broadband is essential to maintain Hawaii's global competitiveness and a modern life style, as its use grows in all sectors, particularly in education, retail, and government services. Furthermore, Hawaii's youth will have a critical hardship to overcome if they are not taught vital digital skills or are deprived of educational opportunities that require broadband access. This measure establishes the Hawaii Broadband Office and restructures the Broadband Assistance Advisory Council to improve broadband services throughout the State.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Replacing the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism with the Hawaii Technology Development Corporation as the lead agency; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Technology and Energy, Economic Development, and Tourism that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 533, H.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 533, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Technology and Energy, Economic Development, and Tourism,
GLENN WAKAI, Chair
JARRETT KEOHOKALOLE, Chair