STAND. COM. REP. NO. 509
RE: H.B. No. 533
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Intrastate Commerce, to which was referred H.B. No. 533, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO BROADBAND,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Establish the Hawaii Broadband Office within the Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism (DBEDT);
(2) Establish the position of State Broadband Strategy Officer;
(3) Require the Director of DBEDT to convene and chair the Broadband Assistance Advisory Council; and
(4) Appropriate funds for the creation and staffing of the Hawaii Broadband Office.
The Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, Department of Education, and O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i testified in support of this measure. DBEDT provided comments on this measure.
(1) Renaming the Broadband Assistance Advisory Council as the Broadband Advisory Council;
(2) Amending the membership and responsibilities of the Hawaii Broadband Office and the Broadband Advisory Council to focus on economic development and business and eliminate promotion of telework;
(3) Changing the appropriation to an unspecified amount;
(4) Changing its effective date to July 1, 3000; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Intrastate Commerce that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 533, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to your Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 533, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Intrastate Commerce,
TAKASHI OHNO, Chair