STAND. COM. REP. NO. 624
RE: H.B. No. 501
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Economic Development & Business and Public Safety, Veterans, & Military Affairs, to which was referred H.B. No. 501 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO FIREWORKS,"
beg leave to report as follows:
(1) Authorize the use of fireworks for film and theatrical productions when a valid county permit has been issued; and
(2) Authorize the testing, disposal, and destruction of illegal or unwanted fireworks by law enforcement.
The Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism; Honolulu Police Department; Hawaii State Fire Council; Honolulu Fire Department; Hawai‘i Fire Department; Maui Fire Department; Kaua‘i Fire Department; and Ho‘omanapono Political Action Committee testified in support of this measure.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that the permitted authorization for the use of fireworks is for movie and television, as well as theatrical productions;
(2) Removing the provision for destruction of "unwanted" fireworks by law enforcement;
(3) Changing its effective date to April 11, 2112; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Economic Development & Business and Public Safety, Veterans, & Military Affairs that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 501, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 501, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Economic Development & Business and Public Safety, Veterans, & Military Affairs,
GREGG TAKAYAMA, Chair
ANGUS L.K. McKELVEY, Chair