STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1256
RE: H.B. No. 461
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Agriculture and Environment and Water and Land, to which was referred H.B. No. 461, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO SEA LEVEL RISE,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Support and direct the Hawaii Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation Commission to further progress in addressing the impacts of sea level rise, identify critical public infrastructure in impacted areas, and provide policy direction to the Legislature on concrete strategies for mitigation and adaptation to sea level rise; and
(2) Appropriate funds for the Commission's activities and for the Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation Coordinator position.
Your Committees received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources, University of Hawai‘i System, IMUAlliance, Sierra Club of Hawai‘i, League of Women Voters of Hawaii, Chamber of Commerce Hawaii, and twenty-one individuals. Your Committees received comments on this measure from the Office of Planning and Building Industry Association Hawaii.
Your Committees find that the State is already experiencing the impacts of climate change, including rising sea levels, extreme tides, accelerated coastal erosion, and stronger, more frequent storms. Your Committees further find that the Hawaii Climate Adaptation Initiative was established in 2014 with the purpose of protecting the State's economy, health, environment, and way of life by considering how to best adapt to and mitigate the impacts of climate change. In 2017, the Governor signed Act 32, Session Laws of Hawaii 2017, establishing the Hawaii Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation Commission. Act 32 also appropriated funds through fiscal year 2019 for a Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation Coordinator position.
Your Committees also find that appropriating funds for the Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation Commission and its coordinator position will further the State's goals of monitoring, responding to, and adapting to climate change.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Inserting an appropriation amount of $1,000,000 for the Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation Commission to conduct its activities;
(2) Inserting an appropriation amount of $75,000 to fund the Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation Coordinator position;
(3) Making it effective on July 1, 2019; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Agriculture and Environment and Water and Land that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 461, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 461, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Agriculture and Environment and Water and Land,
KAIALI'I KAHELE, Chair
MIKE GABBARD, Chair