STAND. COM. REP. NO. 211
RE: H.B. No. 450
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Agriculture, to which was referred H.B. No. 450 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AGRICULTURAL EMERGENCIES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to provide a contingency plan in the event of specified events that result in substantial interruption of commerce and crop production in the State and adversely affect the welfare of the people of Hawaii. More specifically, this measure:
(1) In the event of a substantial interruption, requires the Board of Agriculture (BOA) to request that the Governor declare an agricultural emergency;
(2) Upon the Governor's agricultural emergency declaration, requires the Department of Agriculture (DOA) to develop and implement measures consistent with chapter 127A, Hawaii Revised Statutes, to respond to the agricultural emergency;
(3) Establishes and makes BOA the trustee of the Agricultural Emergency Trust Fund (Trust Fund) to be used to respond to any adverse effects on the agricultural industry or the outbreak of disease that may substantially disrupt commerce and crop production and adversely affect the welfare of the people of Hawaii;
(4) Requires BOA to submit annual reports to the Legislature to provide an accounting of the receipts and expenditures of the Trust Fund; and
(5) Appropriates funds for the purposes of the Trust Fund.
The University of Hawai‘i, Land Use Research Foundation of Hawaii, Hawai‘i Farm Bureau, Maui County Farm Bureau, O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, and many individuals supported this measure. DOA supported the intent of this measure. The Department of Budget and Finance provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its effective date to July 31, 2150, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Agriculture that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 450, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 450, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Public Safety, Veterans, & Military Affairs.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Agriculture,
RICHARD P. CREAGAN, Chair