STAND. COM. REP. NO. 193
RE: H.B. No. 445
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs, to which was referred H.B. No. 445 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS FOR WATER REUSE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to authorize the issuance of general obligation bonds to finance capital improvements for water reuse demonstration projects in Maui County and Hawaii County that have been recommended for funding by the Water Reuse Task Force established by H.C.R. No. 86, S.D.1 (2018).
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Health, The Nature Conservancy of Hawai‘i, and Roth Ecological Design International, LLC. Hawai‘i Community Foundation, One World One Water, and an individual submitted comments.
Your Committee notes that stakeholders in this measure, including the Water Reuse Task Force and Maui County, have requested that the Maui greywater reuse demonstration project at Launiupoko Beach Park that is listed in the original version of this measure be replaced with a greywater reuse demonstration project at Kanaha Beach Park, also located in Maui County. The Kanaha Beach Park project will repurpose up to 9,000,000 gallons of greywater from park showers, sinks, spigots, and hose bibs for local irrigation uses. The Launiupoko project will continue under a separate source of funding. Your Committee finds that the substitution in this measure of the Kanaha Beach Park demonstration project for the Launiupoko Beach Park demonstration project represents a prudent allocation of state resources.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Substituting the Kanaha Beach Park greywater reuse demonstration project for the Launiupoko Beach Park project as the Maui County project financed by this measure;
(2) Inserting blank amounts for the bond authorization and appropriations contained in this measure;
(3) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050 to encourage further discussion; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purpose of clarity and consistency.
Should your Committee on Finance consider this measure, your Committee respectfully requests that it consider inserting the following bond authorization and appropriation amounts:
(1) $985,000 for the general obligation bond authorization;
(2) $350,000 for the Kanaha Beach Park demonstration project; and
(3) $750,000 for the Kealakehe wastewater treatment facility.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 445, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 445, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs,
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair