STAND. COM. REP. NO. 471
RE: H.B. No. 40
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Human Services & Homelessness, to which was referred H.B. No. 40 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HUMAN SERVICES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Authorize health care providers, non-profit organizations, businesses, and faith-based organizations to distribute supplemental nutrition assistance program applications; and
(2) Require that any organization that distributes the applications to maintain a record of the application distribution and have those records be available to the Department of Human Services.
The O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i and an individual supported this measure. The Department of Human Services opposed this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Removing language which required organizations that provided supplemental nutrition assistance program applications to maintain records of the distribution and to make the records available to the department;
(2) Changing its effective date to January 1, 2059, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Human Services & Homelessness that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 40, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 40, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Human Services & Homelessness,
JOY A. SAN BUENAVENTURA, Chair