STAND. COM. REP. NO. 594
RE: H.B. No. 38
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Health and Human Services & Homelessness, to which was referred H.B. No. 38 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HEALTH,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The Hawaii Substance Abuse Coalition, O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, Hawai‘i Health & Harm Reduction Center, and one individual testified in support of this measure. The Department of Health and Department of Human Services provided comments.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Removing the separate provisions for appropriations for treatment of patients with multiple chronic conditions, the establishment of a pilot project for a comprehensive and coordinated centralized referral system, case management programs, and the development of stipend programs for peer mentors and coaches;
(2) Appropriating funds to establish and maintain comprehensive and coordinated continuum of care treatment services for those who suffer from substance abuse and related disorders through the Hawaii Coordinated Addiction Resource Entry System, or Hawaii CARES program;
(3) Removing the requirement to seek matching funds for substance use disorder treatment programs;
(4) Allowing the Director of Health, subject to the availability of funds, to designate additional political subdivisions, or request private entities, to participate in the program;
(5) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to promote further discussion; and
(6) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Health and Human Services & Homelessness that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 38, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 38, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Health and Human Services & Homelessness,
JOY A. SAN BUENAVENTURA, Chair
JOHN M. MIZUNO, Chair