STAND. COM. REP. NO. 674
RE: H.B. No. 36
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Human Services & Homelessness, to which was referred H.B. No. 36 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HUMAN SERVICES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to appropriate funds to the Department of Human Services to purchase, staff, and operate two mobile clinics to serve the homeless persons residing in ohana zones; provided that matching funds from certain entities are provided.
The Councilmember representing District 4 of the County of Hawai‘i, Hawai‘i Psychological Association, O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, Project Vision, Hawaii Commission on Fatherhood, and a few individuals supported this measure. The Governor's Coordinator on Homelessness, Department of Human Services, Department of the Attorney General, and Mayor of the County of Hawai‘i provided comments.
Your Committee notes that this measure is intended to seek medicaid eligible individuals to maximize the use of medicaid funds.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Adding a clinical psychologist to the staff that may be included to serve persons residing in ohana zones;
(2) Requiring the Department of Human Services to identify and secure other sources of funding to provide for matching funds;
(3) Clarify that the Department of Human Services shall procure mobile clinic services pursuant to chapter 103F, Hawaii Revised Statutes;
(4) Provide that funds provided to any other political subdivision or private organization may be by a grant or grant-in-aid as required pursuant to chapter 42F, Hawaii Revised Statutes; and
(5) Changing its effective date to January 1, 2059, to encourage further discussion.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Human Services & Homelessness that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 36, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 36, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Human Services & Homelessness,
JOY A. SAN BUENAVENTURA, Chair