STAND. COM. REP. NO. 611
RE: H.B. No. 172
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs, to which was referred H.B. No. 172 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE BUDGET OF THE OFFICE OF HAWAIIAN AFFAIRS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Office of the Trustees (OHA150);
(2) Administration (OHA160); and
(3) Beneficiary Advocacy (OHA175).
The Association of Hawaiian Civic Clubs, Moku O Keawe – Hawai‘i Council of the Association of Hawaiian Civic Clubs, Council for Native Hawaiian Advancement, O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, and a few individuals submitted testimony in support of this measure. The Center for Hawaiian Sovereignty Studies submitted testimony in opposition to this measure. The Office of Hawaiian Affairs offered comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing all appropriations of general funds and trust funds to unspecified amounts;
(2) Adding a program provision requiring the Auditor to conduct a financial and management audit, to be funded by Office of Hawaiian Affairs trust funds (OHA160);
(3) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to promote further discussion; and
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 172, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 172, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs,
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair