STAND. COM. REP. NO. 943
RE: H.B. No. 170
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred H.B. No. 170 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ETHICS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to provide additional clarity and consistency in the administration and enforcement of the State's ethics laws and promote integrity in state government. Specifically, this measure:
(1) Restores previous statutory language protecting legislators when carrying out a legislative function;
(2) Clarifies the fair treatment laws with respect to task force members and legislators;
(3) Repeals language suggesting that task force members need to file the same financial disclosure statements required of other state officials; and
(4) Clarifies the existing requirement that task force members publicly disclose conflicts of interest.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its effective date to January 28, 2081; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 170, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 170, H.D. 1, and be placed on the calendar for Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
CHRIS LEE, Chair