STAND. COM. REP. NO. 945
RE: H.B. No. 169
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred H.B. No. 169 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE STATE ETHICS CODE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to clarify provisions of the State Ethics Code regarding gift disclosure statements, retention of financial disclosure statements, and ethics training. Specifically, this measure:
(1) Amends the reporting period for each gifts disclosure statement to be exactly one year instead of one year and one day;
(2) Clarifies that legislators and employees must report gifts received during their term of office or employment, regardless of whether the legislator or employee leaves office or employment before the filing deadline;
(3) Requires the State Ethics Commission (Commission) to maintain financial disclosure statements for six years after the filing date; and
(4) Repeals the requirements that:
(A) The Commission specifically design ethics training courses for the officers and employees subject to mandatory ethics training; and
(B) Ethics training courses be held annually in January for those who did not attend the course previously and last at least two hours.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Repealing language that requires:
(A) Copies of a transcript from a contested case hearing to be available only to the complainant and the alleged violator at their own expense; and
(B) Deposit of the fees collected therefrom in the general fund;
(2) Changing its effective date to January 28, 2081; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 169, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 169, H.D. 1, and be placed on the calendar for Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
CHRIS LEE, Chair