STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1133
RE: H.B. No. 1584
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 1584, H.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CARBON EMISSIONS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring the University of Hawaii (UH) to conduct a study regarding the implementation of a statewide carbon tax (Study) that shall address specified issues and engage input from relevant stakeholders, including the Hawaii Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation Commission (Commission), to develop the appropriate scope of the Study;
(2) Requiring UH to submit an interim report on the progress, findings, and recommendations relating to the Study to the Legislature by December 31, 2019;
(3) Requiring UH to submit status reports at the quarterly meetings of the Commission, until a final report is submitted to the Legislature;
(4) Requiring UH to submit a final report to the Legislature, including its progress, findings, and recommendations, including proposed legislation, by October 31, 2020; and
(5) Appropriating funds to UH for each year of fiscal biennium 2019-2021 to conduct the Study, with a project service order to the Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii.
The Nature Conservancy of Hawai‘i, Environmental Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, Blue Planet Foundation, Young Democrats of Hawaii, Organizing for Action, Elemental Excelerator, Ulupono Initiative, Healthy Climate Communities, and several concerned individuals supported this measure. The University of Hawaii System, Office of Planning, Department of Land and Natural Resources, Life of the Land, Sierra Club of Hawai‘i, and Young Progressives Demanding Action provided comments on this measure.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1584, H.D. 2, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair