STAND. COM. REP. NO. 706
RE: H.B. No. 1561
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Agriculture, to which was referred H.B. No. 1561 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AGRIBUSINESS DEVELOPMENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The Department of Agriculture, Agribusiness Development Corporation, Hawai‘i Farm Bureau, Hawaii Crop Improvement Association, Kekaha Agriculture Association, and Larry Jefts Farms, LLC submitted testimony in support of this measure. Bayer, Beck's Superior Hybrids and Kohala Mountain Fish Company offered comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting all sums relating to the appropriation amounts and position ceiling;
(2) Adding provisions requiring the Auditor to conduct a performance audit of ADC, with the option to conduct a financial audit;
(3) Adding provisions requiring ADC to submit an annual report to the Governor and Legislature, and post on its website, that includes information on ADC lands relating to the number of lots and lot sizes, including lots for specialty farm products; lots under lease or vacant; and specified information for approved lease sales or transfers;
(4) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2150, to encourage further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for consistency, clarity, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Agriculture that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1561, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1561, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Agriculture,
RICHARD P. CREAGAN, Chair