STAND. COM. REP. NO. 470
RE: H.B. No. 1514
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred H.B. No. 1514 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CAMPAIGN FINANCE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Replacing the option for a taxpayer to indicate on an income tax form a $3 contribution to the Hawaii Election Campaign Fund (Fund) with an option for a taxpayer to voluntarily apply any amount to the Fund; and
(2) Amending provisions relating to the ability of publicly-funded candidates to receive and expend campaign funds.
The Libertarian Party of Hawaii and Common Cause Hawaii supported this measure. The Campaign Spending Commission and two concerned individuals opposed this measure. The Department of Taxation and League of Women Voters of Hawaii provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Specifying that a taxpayer may make up to a $20 voluntary contribution to the Fund on income tax forms;
(2) Removing the repeal of the income check-off authorization to designate a portion of existing tax liability to be paid to the Fund; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1514, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1514, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
CHRIS LEE, Chair