STAND. COM. REP. NO. 714
RE: H.B. No. 1511
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Agriculture, to which was referred H.B. No. 1511, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE COMMUNITY-BASED ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT ADVISORY COUNCIL,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring the Community-Based Economic Development Advisory Council (Advisory Council) to oversee the evaluation by retained professional research and analysis services of the means and barriers to accessing funding sources by Agricultural Start-Ups to finance their infrastructure projects;
(2) Requiring the Advisory Council to submit its findings and recommendations, including proposed legislation, to the Legislature in a preliminary report on the progress of the evaluation no later than thirty days prior to the Regular Session of 2020 and a final report by June 30, 2020; and
(3) Appropriating $60,000 for professional research and analysis services to perform the required evaluation.
The Maui Chamber of Commerce and O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i supported this measure. The Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism offered comments.
Your Committee notes the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism's (DBEDT) concerns regarding DBEDT and the Community-Based Economic Development Council not having the expertise to assess and evaluate a specialized and comprehensive agricultural financing and infrastructure project as specified in the measure. However, your Committee believes this measure deserves consideration and further discussion as it moves through the legislative process.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the appropriation for professional research and analysis services to perform the evaluation to an unspecified amount;
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2150, to encourage further discussion on this measure; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
Should the Committee on Finance deliberate this measure further, your Committee on Agriculture respectfully requests that it consider appropriating $60,000 for fiscal year 2019-2020 for professional research and analysis services to perform the evaluation.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Agriculture that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1511, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to your Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1511, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Agriculture,
RICHARD P. CREAGAN, Chair