STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1386
RE: H.B. No. 1497
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Energy, Economic Development, and Tourism, to which was referred H.B. No. 1497, H.D. 3, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Establish the Stadium Development District comprising all state land under the Stadium Authority's jurisdiction;
(2) Authorize the Hawaii Community Development Authority to facilitate the development of all state property within the district, including building a new stadium;
(3) Authorize the issuance of revenue bonds and general obligation bonds; and
(4) Appropriate funds.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Accounting and General Services, Stadium Authority, Hawaii Community Development Authority, University of Hawai‘i System, Department of Planning and Permitting of the City and County of Honolulu, General Contractors Association of Hawaii, Chamber of Commerce Hawaii, and Building Industry Association of Hawaii. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of the Attorney General.
Your Committee finds that Aloha Stadium and the surrounding area are in need of redevelopment and renovation. This measure establishes the Stadium Development District and authorizes the Hawaii Community Development Authority to facilitate the development of all state property within the district, which will result in suitable recreational, residential, educational, and commercial areas where the public can live, work, recreate, attend school, and shop as part of a thoughtfully integrated experience.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Revising the development guidance policy regarding endangered species to compel the preservation of endangered species as required by state and federal law; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Energy, Economic Development, and Tourism that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1497, H.D. 3, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1497, H.D. 3, S.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Energy, Economic Development, and Tourism,
GLENN WAKAI, Chair