STAND. COM. REP. NO. 612
RE: H.B. No. 1497
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs, to which was referred H.B. No. 1497, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Establishing the Stadium Development District (District) comprised of all land currently under the jurisdiction of the Stadium Authority;
(2) Requiring the Hawaii Community Development Authority to facilitate the development of all property belonging to the State within the District in accordance with county transit-oriented development plans for lands surrounding the District, subject to certain conditions;
(3) Appropriating $100,000,000 out of the general revenues to establish and develop the District for public use;
(4) Authorizing the issuance of $150,000,000 in revenue bonds to establish the District and build a new stadium; and
(5) Authorizing the issuance of $100,000,000 in general obligation bonds to build a new stadium.
The University of Hawaii System, Ho‘omanapono Political Action Committee, and an individual submitted testimony in support of this measure. The Department of Accounting and General Services, Stadium Authority, and Hawaii Community Development Authority offered comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the appropriation, revenue bond authorization, and general obligation bond authorization amounts to unspecified amounts;
(2) Clarifying that the type of developments that should be included in the Stadium District include housing developments;
(3) Directing the Community Development Authority to coordinate with the federal government regarding Department of Defense lands in the District; and
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1497, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to your Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1497, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs,
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair