STAND. COM. REP. NO. 210
RE: H.B. No. 1497
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Labor & Public Employment, to which was referred H.B. No. 1497 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to make optimal use of public land for the economic, residential, educational, and social benefit of the people of Hawaii by:
(1) Establishing the Stadium Development District (District) comprising all land under the jurisdiction of the Stadium Authority;
(2) Authorizing the Hawaii Community Development Authority (HCDA) to facilitate the development of all state property within the District in accordance with county transit-oriented development plans for lands surrounding the District, subject to certain conditions;
(3) Authorizing the issuance of special purpose revenue bonds and general obligation bonds to establish the District and build a new stadium; and
(4) Appropriating general funds for the Stadium Authority to establish and develop the District for public use.
The Office of the Governor, University of Hawai‘i System, Stadium Authority, City and County of Honolulu Department of Planning and Permitting, and Hawaii High School Athletic Association testified in support of this measure. The Department of Accounting and General Services, Department of the Attorney General, HCDA, and Hawaii Operating Engineers Industry Stabilization Fund provided comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the authorization and issuance of bonds to reflect revenue bonds under Chapter 39, HRS, rather than special purpose revenue bonds under Chapter 39A, HRS;
(2) Deleting references to Part VI of Chapter 206E, HRS, as it relates to the issuance of special facility bonds and to establish the District and build a new stadium;
(3) Changing its effective date to January 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Labor & Public Employment that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1497, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1497, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Labor & Public Employment,
AARON LING JOHANSON, Chair