STAND. COM. REP. NO. 426
RE: H.B. No. 1416
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health, to which was referred H.B. No. 1416 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HEALTH,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to establish a suicide prevention commission (Commission) to examine, evaluate, and determine methods to improve education, awareness, support services, and inmate outreach to best prevent suicides in Hawaii's correctional facilities.
The Department of Public Safety, Community Alliance on Prison, Mental Health America of Hawai‘i, Hawaii Family Forum, Hawai‘i Health & Harm Reduction Center, O‘ahu Prevent Suicide Task Force, O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, and three individuals testified in support of this measure. The Department of Health provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Removing a member from the Department of Health's Injury Prevention and Control Section from the Commission;
(2) Removing a member from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration of the United States Department of Health from the Commission;
(3) Adding a member from the Department of Health's Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division;
(4) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to promote further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1416, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1416, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health,
JOHN M. MIZUNO, Chair