STAND. COM. REP. NO. 224
RE: H.B. No. 1407
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Energy & Environmental Protection and Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs, to which was referred H.B. No. 1407 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE ENVIRONMENT,"
beg leave to report as follows:
(1) Expand the scope of the Carbon Offset Program (Program) and require all state agencies to participate in the Program;
(2) Establish a Carbon Offset Revolving Fund to assist in the fulfillment of the purposes of the Program; and
(3) Appropriate funds necessary for the Carbon Offset Program, including for the establishment of certain positions to support the Program.
The Hawaii Farmers Union and O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i supported this measure. One individual submitted testimony in opposition. The Department of Land and Natural Resources, Office of Planning, Department of Budget and Finance, and Life of the Land provided comments.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the amounts appropriated in this measure to unspecified amounts;
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2100, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making nonsubstantive, technical amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
Should the Committee on Finance deliberate this measure further, your Committees on Energy & Environmental Protection and Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs respectfully request that it consider:
(1) Depositing $500,000 into the Carbon Offset Revolving Fund;
(2) Appropriating $500,000 out of the Carbon Offset Revolving Fund for the purposes of the Fund; and
(3) Appropriating $400,000 for the establishment of one full-time equivalent (1.00 FTE) secretary III position, four full-time equivalent (4.00 FTE) planner V positions, and one full-time equivalent (1.00 FTE) carbon offset program manager position.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Energy & Environmental Protection and Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1407, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1407, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Energy & Environmental Protection and Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs,
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair
NICOLE E. LOWEN, Chair