STAND. COM. REP. NO. 681
RE: H.B. No. 1344
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Labor & Public Employment, to which was referred H.B. No. 1344 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT OPERATING BUDGET,"
begs leave to report as follows:
Specifically, this measure appropriates funds for:
(1) One permanent full-time equivalent (1.0 FTE) position to support the learning management system upgrade;
(2) One permanent full-time equivalent (1.0 FTE) position to support implementation of employee staffing program initiatives;
(3) One permanent full-time equivalent (1.0 FTE) position to support the Office of Collective Bargaining in the negotiations of labor contracts;
(4) One permanent full-time equivalent (1.0 FTE) position to provide administrative support to the Labor Relations Program;
(5) One permanent full-time equivalent (1.0 FTE) position for the Chief Negotiator position for collective bargaining; and
(6) One permanent full-time equivalent (1.0 FTE) interdepartmental transfer position to provide the State Deferred Compensation Plan Board with support to fulfill its statutory and fiduciary responsibilities.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting appropriations for the following positions:
(A) The position to support implementation of employee staffing initiatives as DHRD will be getting much-needed assistance that should obviate the need for mid-level personnel for recruitment and staffing; and
(B) The position to provide administrative support to the Labor Relations Program as labor relations will be getting additional substantial support and assistance;
(2) Making the appropriations for the Chief Negotiator for collective bargaining unspecified amounts to encourage further discussion on this position, particularly with regard to whether the position should be a full-time position, a half-time position, or a position that is contracted as the Chief Negotiator position has been vacant for several years;
(3) Appropriating funds for the following positions:
(A) $132,972 for each year of FB 2019-2021 for one permanent full-time equivalent (1.0 FTE) Chief Recruitment Officer position; and
(B) $200,000 for each year of FB 2019-2021 for two permanent full-time equivalent (2.0 FTE) senior recruiter positions;
(4) Changing the effective date to January 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
The funds appropriated by your Committee for the Chief Recruitment Officer and senior recruiter positions reflect the high-level competencies and skills that these positions demand. The Chief Recruitment Officer position is equivalent to the DHRD Deputy Director's salary and the senior recruiter position salaries are on par with many equivalent DHRD branch chief and administrator positions. Your Committee believes that these positions need to be senior-level positions within DHRD to bring about change and serve as a liaison with department personnel.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Labor & Public Employment that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1344, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1344, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Labor & Public Employment,
AARON LING JOHANSON, Chair