STAND. COM. REP. NO. 576
RE: H.B. No. 1270
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Human Services & Homelessness and Health, to which was referred H.B. No. 1270 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HOSPITAL SUSTAINABILITY PROGRAM,"
beg leave to report as follows:
(1) Extending the Hospital Sustainability Program for two additional years; and
(2) Appropriating funds out of the Hospital Sustainability Program Special Fund.
The Department of Human Services, East Hawaii Region of the Hawaii Health Systems Corporation, The Queen's Health Systems, Hawaii Medical Service Association, Healthcare Association of Hawaii, Kaiser Permanente Hawai‘i, Hawai‘i Pacific Health, O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, and The Chamber of Commerce Hawaii supported this measure.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Amending the definition of "private hospital" to exclude hospitals affiliated with the Hawaii Health Systems Corporation;
(2) Raising the cap on the hospital sustainable fee to four percent of a hospital's net patient service revenue, net inpatient service revenue, and outpatient hospital service revenue;
(3) Including children's hospitals under the hospital sustainability fee on outpatient care services;
(4) Changing the amount appropriated to an unspecified amount;
(5) Providing that the appropriation out of the Hospital Sustainability Program Special Fund shall take effect on July 1, 2019; and
(6) Changing its effective date to January 1, 2059, to encourage further discussion.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Human Services & Homelessness and Health that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1270, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1270, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Human Services & Homelessness and Health,
JOHN M. MIZUNO, Chair
JOY A. SAN BUENAVENTURA, Chair