STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2035
RE: H.B. No. 1219
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred H.B. No. 1219, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO PUBLIC LANDS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to facilitate the redevelopment of lands that are underutilized or upon which improvements or infrastructure has become dilapidated, obsolete, or deteriorated over time.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Authorizes the designation of redevelopment districts to facilitate the planning, development, or redevelopment of certain areas;
(2) Requires the establishment of a planning committee for each redevelopment district for the purpose of preparing a redevelopment plan and entering into agreements with developers for projects of the redevelopment plan;
(3) Establishes the Waiakea peninsula redevelopment district;
(4) Appropriates funds for the redevelopment of the Waiakea peninsula redevelopment district;
(5) Authorizes the Board of Land and Natural Resources to waive or charge reduced lease rents if a lessee is required to demolish existing improvements or provide basic infrastructure before it can make productive use of the land; and
(6) Requires that the development agreement for public lands in a redevelopment area shall provide for the leasehold disposition of the land and specify other requirements for use of the land.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources and the County of Hawaii Office of the Mayor.
Your Committee finds that this measure will assist the Board of Land and Natural Resources and developers in revitalizing areas that are currently underutilized or are in disrepair.
Your Committee has amended this measure by changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1219, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1219, H.D. 1, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair