STAND. COM. REP. NO. 789
RE: H.B. No. 1219
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs, to which was referred H.B. No. 1219 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO PUBLIC LANDS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to support the rejuvenation of dilapidated, obsolete, or deteriorated public lands by:
(1) Designating redevelopment districts for any area of public land classified as commercial, industrial, resort, hotel, apartment, motel, or resort;
(2) Establishing and implementing guidelines for the redevelopment of areas or regions of public lands; and
(3) Establishing the Waiakea Peninsula Redevelopment District on Hawaii Island.
The League of Women Voters submitted testimony in opposition to this measure. The Department of Land and Natural Resources, Department of the Attorney General, and Mayor for the County of Hawaii submitted testimony in support of this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Permitting rather than requiring the legislature to designate redevelopment districts;
(2) Deleting the required composition of the planning committee;
(3) Requiring that the planning committee for the designated redevelopment district be dissolved upon the completion of the project;
(4) Requiring the planning committee to submit annual reports on the progress of the redevelopment project to the Board of Land and Natural Resources;
(5) Deleting references to leases issued by the planning committee;
(6) Deleting the findings related to, the establishment of, and the repeal provisions for the Waiakea Peninsula Redevelopment District;
(7) Changing all amounts into and out of the Waiakea Peninsula Redevelopment District Revolving Fund to unspecified amounts;
(8) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to promote further discussion; and
(9) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1219, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1219, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs,
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair