STAND. COM. REP. NO. 788
RE: H.B. No. 1209
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs, to which was referred H.B. No. 1209, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HOUSING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to address Hawaii's housing crisis by:
(1) Providing a process for approval of land use boundary amendments consistent with county plans to permit housing development;
(2) Requiring the prioritization of infrastructure funding to support planned growth; and
(3) Establishing a streamlined approval process for housing developments that include below market-rate units.
Building Industry Association of Hawaii, McCully Works, and an individual submitted testimony in support of this measure. The Office of Hawaiian Affairs; Department of Planning and Permitting, City and County of Honolulu; Hawaii Advocates for Consumer Rights; Hawaii's Thousand Friends; League of Women Voters; and a few individuals submitted testimony in opposition to this measure. The Office of Planning, Land Use Commission offered comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Removing provisions that provide a process for the approval of land use boundary amendments, require the prioritization of infrastructure funding, and establish a streamlined approval process for ministerial permits;
(2) Requiring the Land Use Commission to file annual reports regarding the progress of five-year boundary reviews;
(3) Requiring the counties to file annual updates to its general plans, development plans, or community plans with the Land Use Commission;
(4) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to promote further discussion, and
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1209, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to your Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1209, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs,
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair