STAND. COM. REP. NO. 245
RE: H.B. No. 1180
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Public Safety, Veterans, & Military Affairs, Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs, Housing, and Human Services & Homelessness, to which was referred H.B. No. 1180 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO NATURAL DISASTERS,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to appropriate funds to meet the need for relief, recovery, mitigation, and remediation activities necessary due to the 2018 Kilauea eruption in the County of Hawai‘i, including:
(1) Loans to cover the local cost share of various federal assistance programs, including the twenty-five percent cost share for the Federal Emergency Management Agency's public assistance and hazard mitigation programs as required by the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, and other federal assistance that may become available from the Department of Housing and Urban Development and other agencies; and
(2) The costs of necessary housing assistance that may or may not be covered by federal programs.
The Office of the Governor, Hawaii Emergency Management Agency, Department of Agriculture, County of Hawai‘i Department of Research and Development, members of the Hawai‘i County Council from Districts 1, 2, and 9, Hawaiian Electric Company Inc., Maui Electric Company, Ltd., Hawai‘i Electric Light Company, Inc., Kapoho Land Partnership, Kapoho Management Company, Inc., Kapoho Land & Development Co. Ltd., O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, Kohala Coast Resort Association, Hawaii Habitat for Humanity Association, and numerous concerned individuals supported this measure.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting the preamble language;
(2) Deleting appropriation language and amounts, including $20,000,000 for housing assistance and $30,000,000 in criteria-specific loans for fiscal years 2019-2020 and 2020-2021;
(3) Appropriating $20,000,000 as a subsidy to the County of Hawai‘i for fiscal year 2018-2019 to provide relief, recovery, mitigation, and remediation assistance for disaster damage, losses, and suffering caused by the 2018 Kilauea eruption in the County of Hawai‘i;
(4) Appropriating $40,000,000 as a loan to the County of Hawai‘i for fiscal year 2018-2019 as may be necessary to obtain non-state funds, including federal funds, available to the County to provide relief, recovery, mitigation, and remediation assistance for disaster damage, losses, and suffering caused by the 2018 Kilauea eruption in the County of Hawai‘i; provided that the Director of Finance shall negotiate the terms of the loan and may waive any interest accrued on the loan;
(5) Requiring the Hawai‘i County Council to adopt a resolution requesting the release of the funds before the funds are released to the County of Hawai‘i;
(6) Requiring the County of Hawai‘i to report monthly expenditures to the Department of Budget and Finance;
(7) Making it effective upon its approval; and
(8) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Public Safety, Veterans, & Military Affairs, Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs, Housing, and Human Services & Homelessness that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1180, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1180, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Public Safety, Veterans, & Military Affairs, Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs, Housing, and Human Services & Homelessness,
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair
GREGG TAKAYAMA, Chair
JOY A. SAN BUENAVENTURA, Chair
TOM BROWER, Chair