STAND. COM. REP. NO. 38
RE: H.B. No. 1170
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection, to which was referred H.B. No. 1170 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Demonstrate new toilet and sewage treatment technologies; and
(2) Expedite traditional permitting and regulation for the demonstration projects.
The Coral Reef Alliance, Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, Surfrider Foundation, and several concerned individuals supported this measure. The Department of Health supported the intent of this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Removing the provision that authorizes the Department of Health to waive any permits or regulations relating to the pilot project;
(2) Removing the legislative reporting requirement for 2020; and
(3) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2100, to encourage further discussion.
Should your Committee on Finance further deliberate on this measure, your Committee notes that it had requested the Department of Health to provide an accounting of anticipated costs and total appropriation amount to the Committee on Finance.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1170, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1170, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Health.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection,
NICOLE E. LOWEN, Chair