STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1493
RE: H.B. No. 1032
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water and Land, to which was referred H.B. No. 1032, H.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO STATE BOATING FACILITIES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Allow the Board of Land and Natural Resources (Board) to lease any existing state boating facility in its entirety, and fast lands and submerged lands within any existing state boating facility, by public auction, request for proposals, or direct negotiation for private development, management, and operation subject to prior authorization by the Legislature; and
(2) Repeal fast lands and submerged lands lease requirements specific to the Ala Wai Boat Harbor.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from Pūlama Lāna‘i. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources, Ocean Tourism Coalition, and two individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from one individual.
Your Committee finds that community input and involvement are critical to effective and sustainable development within the State. While sea level rise is a critical factor to consider in long-term planning, your Committee believes it is just as critical to foster effective relationships between developers and the community.
Accordingly, your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting language that would have required prior authorization from the Legislature for a lease of any state boating facility;
(2) Inserting language to require the Board of Land and Natural Resources, prior to approving the lease of any existing state boating facility, to find that the lessee has:
(A) Given public notice of any proposed development plans;
(B) Engaged with the community to be affected in regard to the development plans;
(C) Considered community concerns; and
(D) Developed a plan to address adverse impacts; and
(3) Inserting an effective date of December 31, 2050, to encourage further discussion.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water and Land that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1032, H.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1032, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water and Land,
KAIALI'I KAHELE, Chair