STAND. COM. REP. NO. 185
RE: H.B. No. 1000
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Human Services & Homelessness, to which was referred H.B. No. 1000 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CHILD CARE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring criminal history checks of adult relatives who provide care for a child whose family receives a child care subsidy;
(2) Allowing the Department of Human Services to take both administrative and judicial action to enforce child care licensing;
(3) Clarifying when information about an investigation of a complaint will be released to the public;
(4) Clarifying that the program shall share information and cooperate with child welfare services and law enforcement during investigations; and
(5) Increasing the fines for violations of provisions for licensure of group child care homes and for registration of family child care homes.
The Department of Human Services and O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i supported this measure. The Civil Beat Law Center for the Public Interest provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the effective date to January 1, 2059, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Human Services & Homelessness that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1000, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1000, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Human Services & Homelessness,
JOY A. SAN BUENAVENTURA, Chair