STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1987-18
RE: S.B. No. 2424
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 2424, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HOUSING FOR NATIVE HAWAIIANS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Authorizing the construction, use, and provision of loans to qualifying lessees for micro housing units on Hawaiian home lands;
(2) Authorizing the use of the Hawaiian Home Loan Fund and Hawaiian Home General Loan Fund for assistance in purchasing or renting micro housing units for use on approved Hawaiian home lands to qualifying lessees;
(3) Appropriating funds for the construction of micro housing units to be matched dollar-for-dollar by funds awarded through the Native Community Development Financial Institutions Program, subject to certain conditions; and
(4) Appropriating funds to build the general organizational capacity of Native Hawaiian-controlled nonprofit housing developers that meet certain criteria.
Hawaiian Community Assets, Ho‘omanapono Political Action Committee, Hawai‘i Appleseed Center for Law & Economic Justice, Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, and a concerned individual supported this measure. The Center for Hawaiian Sovereignty Studies opposed this measure. The Department of Budget and Finance, Office of Hawaiian Affairs, and Department of Hawaiian Home Lands provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting its preamble; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2424, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2424, S.D. 2, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair