STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1344-18
RE: S.B. No. 2393
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Education, to which was referred S.B. No. 2393, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EDUCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Create a comprehensive plan to establish at least one alternative learning center in each complex area in the State; and
(2) Submit the comprehensive plan to the Legislature prior to the 2019 Regular Session.
The Hawaii State Teachers Association, Hawai‘i Lodging & Tourism Association, and an individual supported this measure. The DOE provided comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Specifying that the comprehensive plan is to establish at least one alternative learning school, rather than at least one alternative learning center, in each complex area in the State;
(2) Specifying that alternative learning schools are to:
(A) Serve students enrolled in DOE schools and individuals up to the age of 22 who receive special education services from the DOE; and
(B) Provide ongoing education to students involved in the justice system or at high-risk of involvement in the justice system;
(3) Appropriating funds to the DOE to carry out the purposes of this measure;
(4) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2393, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2393, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Education,
JUSTIN H. WOODSON, Chair