STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2692
RE: S.B. No. 2387
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 2387, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII FARM TO SCHOOL PROGRAM,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to enhance student health and expand the relationship between public schools and the agricultural community.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Requires the Department of Education to establish a farm to school program;
(2) Requires the farm to school coordinator of the Department of Education to collaborate with the Department of Agriculture on any farm to school program established within the Department of Education; and
(3) Appropriates funds for two full-time equivalent farm to school staff positions within the Department of Education.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Office of the Lieutenant Governor; Department of Agriculture; Department of Education; Department of Health; State Public Charter School Commission; Hawaii Public Health Institute; Hawaii State Teachers Association; Ulupono Initiative; The Kohala Center; Oahu Farm to School Network; Hawaii Farm Bureau Federation; Kamehameha Schools; Malaai: The Culinary Garden of Waimea Middle School; Blue Zones Project; Hawaii Children's Action Network; Hawaii Medical Service Association; American Heart Association; Kokua Hawaii Foundation; Maui School Garden Network; OCC Legislative Priorities Committee, Democratic Party of Hawaii; Pioneering Healthier Communities of Honolulu; Beyond Green Sustainable Food Partners; Grow Some Good; Ka Ohana O Na Pua; HFUU; Hawaii Primary Care Association; Hawaii Pacific Health; Local Food Coalition; and fifty-two individuals.
Your Committee finds that farm to school programs benefit schools by providing students with an agricultural education, improving student attendance, academic achievement, and behavior, and increasing opportunities for place-based experiential learning, physical activity, and active participation.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the amount appropriated for farm to school staff positions from $114,336 to an unspecified sum;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(3) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for the purpose of clarity.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2387, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2387, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair