STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2888
RE: S.B. No. 2320
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 2320, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AN UNDERGRADUATE HEALTH SCIENCES ACADEMY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to develop an undergraduate health sciences academy within the University of Hawaii System.
(1) Establishes an undergraduate health sciences academy within the University of Hawaii;
(2) Requires the University of Hawaii-West Oahu to administer the health sciences academy; and
(3) Establishes the mission of the health sciences academy to eliminate health disparities in Native Hawaiians, Pacific Islanders, and other underserved communities by establishing certain health-related education pathways.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the University of Hawaii; Department of Health; The Queen's Health Systems; Kamehameha Schools; Hawaiian Civic Club of Honolulu; Hawaii Public Health Institute; Papa Ola Lokahi; Native Hawaiian Health Coalition; Ho`omanapono Political Action Committee; OCC Legislative Priorities Committee, Democratic Party of Hawaii; and twenty-three individuals.
Your Committee finds that a health sciences academy will help to educate and prepare Native Hawaiians, Pacific Islanders, and other individuals for employment in high-paying health care positions and alleviate medical demands of communities in the State.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(2) Making technical nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2320, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2320, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair