STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2673
RE: S.B. No. 2319
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 2319, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII BOARD OF REGENTS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to amend the selection and composition of the University of Hawaii Board of Regents.
Specifically, subject to ratification of a Hawaii constitutional amendment, this measure:
(1) Reduces the membership of the Board of Regents from fifteen members to seven;
(2) Reduces the terms of the members from five years to three years;
(3) Establishes residential or expertise requirements for certain members;
(4) Requires that the student member be the student body president of a University of Hawaii campus;
(5) Repeals the Candidate Advisory Council for the Board of Regents; and
(6) Requires the Governor to nominate and appoint the members of the Board of Regents with the advice and consent of the Senate.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Office of Hawaiian Affairs.
Your Committee received written comments in opposition to this measure from one individual.
One individual submitted written comments on this measure.
Your Committee finds that requiring that one member of the University of Hawaii Board of Regents possess experience in Native Hawaiian traditions and customs will help to preserve the cultural and environmental integrity of the lands administered by the University of Hawaii.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying the language regarding appointment and confirmation of University of Hawaii Board of Regents members so that it mirrors the language in Article X, section 6, of the Hawaii State Constitution; and
(2) Making technical nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2319, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2319, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair