STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1216-18
RE: S.B. No. 2319
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Higher Education, to which was referred S.B. No. 2319, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII BOARD OF REGENTS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Amending the composition of the Board of Regents of the University of Hawaii;
(2) Reducing the terms of most members of the Board of Regents from five to three years;
(3) Reestablishing the Governor's authority to directly nominate and, with the advice and consent of the Senate, appoint the members of the Board of Regents;
(4) Requiring the Governor to fill a vacancy on the Board of Regents within 90 days;
(5) Pursuant to a proposed constitutional amendment, abolishing the Regents Candidate Advisory Council for the Board of Regents; and
(6) Terminating the term of each existing member of the Board of Regents effective March 1, 2019, and requiring the Governor to nominate new members to the Board of Regents by January 29, 2019, for terms to commence on March 1, 2019.
Your Committee has amended the measure by:
(1) Retaining two members of the Board of Regents of the University of Hawaii to represent the County of Hawaii;
(2) Deleting the repeal of the Regents Candidate Advisory Council for the Board of Regents;
(3) Making conforming amendments;
(4) Removing provisions terminating the term of each existing member of the Board of Regents effective March 1, 2019, and requiring the Governor to nominate new numbers by January 29, 2019;
(5) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2112; and
(6) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Higher Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2319, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2319, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Higher Education,
ANGUS L.K. McKELVEY, Chair