STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2635
RE: S.B. No. 2211
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 2211, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CONCUSSIONS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to expand the scope of the concussion educational program.
More specifically, this measure:
(1) Expands the scope of the concussion educational program to include athletic events beginning from grade three; and
(2) Makes an appropriation for the continuation of the concussion educational program.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Education, University of Hawaii System, Hawaii Psychological Association, Hawaii Chapter of American Physical Therapy Association, and twelve concerned individuals.
Your Committee finds that young athletes are particularly susceptible to head and brain trauma. Your Committee further finds that the concussion educational program should be expanded to include additional students.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the effective date for section 3 of the measure to July 1, 2050;
(2) Changing the effective date for the remainder of the measure to June 30, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(3) Making a technical nonsubstantive change for the purpose of clarity.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2211, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2211, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair