STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2822
RE: S.B. No. 2089
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 2089 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO A YOUTH COMMISSION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to promote civic engagement among the youth of the State.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Establishes a Youth Commission within the Office of Youth Services to advise the Governor and Legislature on the effects of legislative policies, needs, assessments, priorities, programs, and budgets concerning the youth of the State; and
(2) Appropriates funds for the hiring of one staff position to administer the Youth Commission and other administrative costs.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Office of Youth Services; Community Alliance on Prisons; Students for Public Outreach and Civic Education - SPOCE; Hawaii Youth Services Network; Aloha Light Team; HawaiiKidsCAN; Young Progressives Demanding Action - Hawaii; Hawaii Substance Abuse Coalition; Hawaii Public Health Institute; OCC Legislative Priorities Committee, Democratic Party of Hawaii; and seven individuals.
Your Committee finds that, although youth under the age of eighteen are not allowed to vote in elections, they still deserve access and input in the policymaking process.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that the Youth Commission shall annually elect one of its members to serve as chairperson;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(3) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for the purposes of consistency and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2089, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2089, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair