STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1371-18
RE: S.B. No. 2084
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Agriculture and Water & Land, to which was referred S.B. No. 2084, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AGRICULTURE,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to meet the State's constitutional mandate to conserve and protect agricultural lands, promote diversified agriculture, increase agricultural self-sufficiency, and assure the availability of agriculturally suitable lands by:
(1) Establishing the Agricultural Land Acquisition Fund (Acquisition Fund) for the acquisition, administration, maintenance, and management of agricultural lands and irrigation systems to improve food security;
(2) Allocating revenues from the State Environmental Response, Energy, and Food Security Tax to the Acquisition Fund; and
(3) Appropriating general funds into the Acquisition Fund and making an appropriation to the Agribusiness Development Corporation from the Acquisition Fund.
The Agribusiness Development Corporation, Ulupono Initiative, Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, Hawaii Cattlemen's Council, and an individual supported this measure. The Department of Agriculture, Department of Budget and Finance, Tax Foundation of Hawaii, and Hawaii Farm Bureau provided comments.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its effective date to July 31, 2150, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Agriculture and Water & Land that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2084, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2084, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Agriculture and Water & Land,
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair
RICHARD P. CREAGAN, Chair