STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1202
RE: S.B. No. 1210
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Housing, to which was referred S.B. No. 1210, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO INFRASTRUCTURE DEVELOPMENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Authorize the counties to develop public-private partnerships to construct relief sewers for affordable housing development projects; and
(2) Require the Mayor of each county to designate an officer to oversee the public-private partnerships entered into by the respective county.
An individual testified in support of this measure. The City and County of Honolulu Department of Environmental Services, Building Industry Association of Hawaii, and APEC Hawaii commented on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by changing its effective date to July 4, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on this measure.
Should the Committee on Finance deliberate on this measure, your Committee respectfully requests that it consider the following issues raised by stakeholders in testimony at public hearing:
(1) Whether requiring the Mayor of each county to designate an officer to oversee any public-private partnerships entered into by the respective county relates to internal county operations and, therefore, is inappropriate for inclusion in state statutes;
(2) Whether public-private partnerships should be authorized not only for sewer infrastructure but for other municipal infrastructure as well, such as water and storm drains; and
(3) Whether one entity in each county should oversee all public-private partnerships in the county to support coordinated assessment and implementation of public-private partnership projects.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Housing that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1210, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1210, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Housing,
TOM BROWER, Chair