STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1358
RE: S.B. No. 1148
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water & Land, to which was referred S.B. No. 1148, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to appropriate moneys for the Executive Director of the Hawaii Community Development Authority (HCDA) to conduct a feasibility study regarding: (1) HCDA assuming the role of planning, developing, and redeveloping all state-owned lands, except lands administered by the Hawaii Public Housing Authority, within one-half mile of the Honolulu rail transit system; and (2) creating a new community development district along the Honolulu rail corridor. This measure also requires the HCDA to report to the Legislature.
The Office of Planning and Hawaii Public Housing Authority testified in support of this measure. One concerned individual testified in opposition to this measure. The Department of Transportation, Hawaii Community Development Authority, Aloha Stadium Authority, and Department of Planning and Permitting of the City and County of Honolulu commented on this measure.
Your Committee believes that the establishment of transit-oriented development (TOD) zones at various locations along the Honolulu rail transit system is critically connected to the passage of the rail measure currently under consideration by the Legislature.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Defining "TOD" and "TOD zone";
(2) Designating the Hawaii Community Development Authority to implement the TOD Zone Improvement Program, and describing requirements for the composition of the Authority's membership;
(3) Clarifying that the study and the TOD zones will not affect lands administered by the Hawaii Public Housing Authority or the Stadium Authority;
(4) Deleting the requirement for HCDA to conduct a feasibility study and related provisions;
(5) Adding an appropriation in an unspecified amount for the hiring of one full-time equivalent permanent position (1.00 FTE) in the HCDA to implement the TOD Zone Improvement Program;
(6) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(7) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water & Land that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1148, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to your Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1148, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water & Land,
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair