STAND. COM. REP. NO. 804
RE: S.B. No. 1082
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 1082 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AGRICULTURE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to support the Hawaii Community College Agriculture Program.
More specifically, this measure:
(1) Appropriates funds for the 2017-2019 fiscal biennium for the hiring of a farm coordinator to support the instructional activities of Hawaii Community College at the University of Hawaii at Hilo's agricultural farm; and
(2) Appropriates funds for fiscal year 2017-2018 for equipment for the Hawaii Community College Agriculture Program.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Agriculture, the University of Hawaii System, Hawaii Cattlemen's Council, Hawaii Farm Bureau, and two individuals.
Your Committee finds that the Hawaii Community College Agriculture Program prepares students for employment in government service, agribusiness, horticulture, livestock, flowers and foliage, landscaping, macadamia nuts, papaya, and coffee industries. Your Committee further finds that student interest in the Hawaii Community College Agriculture Program has grown in recent years, with the program averaging around thirty majors each year. Your Committee recognizes that the program is unable to meet current demand and that additional funding for personnel and equipment is needed to help the program satisfy the demand.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the amounts appropriated in fiscal years 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 for the hiring of a farm coordinator from $43,000 respectively for each year to unspecified amounts;
(2) Making a correction to clarify that Hawaii Community College is the expending agency for the appropriation to hire a farm coordinator;
(3) Changing the amount appropriated in fiscal year 2017-2018 for equipment from $165,600 to an unspecified amount; and
(4) Changing the effective date to March 9, 2092, to facilitate further discussion on the measure.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1082, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1082, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
JILL N. TOKUDA, Chair