STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1674-18
RE: H.R. No. 67
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Labor & Public Employment and Legislative Management, to which was referred H.R. No. 67 entitled:
"HOUSE RESOLUTION REQUESTING THE AUDITOR TO CONDUCT A REVIEW REGARDING THE PERFORMANCE OF "INCIDENTAL AND SUPPLEMENTAL" CONTRACTING WORK,"
beg leave to report as follows:
(1) Conduct a review about allowing no "incidental and supplemental" work under the S plans of a structural engineer's purview, including specialty licenses and C-6, C-31, C-32, C-35, C-38, C-41, and C-48, and C-56 licenses; and
(2) Submit a report of its findings and recommendations to the Legislature prior to the 2019 Regular Session.
International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental and Reinforcing Iron Workers, Local 625, AFL-CIO; Ironworkers Stabilization Fund; Aloha Steel Corporation; and an individual supported this measure. The Contractors License Board, Hawaii Laborers Union Local 368, Hawaii Laborers-Employers Cooperation and Education Trust, General Contractors Association of Hawaii, and Building Industry Association of Hawaii opposed this measure. The Office of the Auditor provided comments.
Upon further consideration, your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its title to read: "REQUESTING THE LEGISLATIVE REFERENCE BUREAU TO CONDUCT A STUDY OF BEST PRACTICES REGARDING 'INCIDENTAL AND SUPPLEMENTAL' CONTRACTING WORK";
(2) Requesting the Legislative Reference Bureau to conduct a study of best practices regarding "incidental and supplemental" contracting work; and
(3) Specifying areas that the Legislative Reference Bureau is to include in the study;
(4) Requesting the Legislative Reference Bureau to submit a report of its findings and recommendations, including any proposed legislation, to the Legislature prior to the 2019 Regular Session;
(5) Requesting that a certified copy of this measure be transmitted to the Chairperson of the Contractors License Board; and
(6) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Labor & Public Employment and Legislative Management that are attached to this report, your Committees concur with the intent and purpose of H.R. No. 67, as amended herein, and recommend that it be referred to your Committee on Finance, in the form attached hereto as H.R. No. 67, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Labor & Public Employment and Legislative Management,
BERTRAND KOBAYASHI, Chair
AARON LING JOHANSON, Chair