STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1847-18
RE: H.R. No. 48
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce, to which was referred H.R. No. 48, H.D. 1, entitled:
"HOUSE RESOLUTION REQUESTING THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION TO CONVENE A WORKING GROUP TO EVALUATE THE REGULATION OF PERSONAL VEHICLE RENTALS AND TO CONSIDER STANDARDS OF PRACTICE FOR THIS INDUSTRY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to examine the emerging practice of renting personal vehicles via third-party web-based platforms by requesting the Department of Transportation to convene a working group to evaluate the regulation of and standards of practice for personal vehicle rentals.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its title to read: "HOUSE RESOLUTION REQUESTING THE DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE AND CONSUMER AFFAIRS TO CONVENE A WORKING GROUP TO EVALUATE THE REGULATION OF PEER-TO-PEER CAR SHARING AND TO CONSIDER STANDARDS OF PRACTICE FOR THIS INDUSTRY";
(2) Changing the entity being requested to convene the working group from the Department of Transportation to the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs;
(3) Changing the term "personal vehicle rentals" to the term "peer-to-peer car sharing" throughout the measure, including its title;
(4) Designating the Director of Commerce and Consumer Affairs as the Chair of the working group;
(5) Including representatives from two peer-to-peer car sharing companies on the working group; and
(6) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of H.R. No. 48, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends its adoption in the form attached hereto as H.R. No. 48, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce,
ROY M. TAKUMI, Chair