STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1632-18
RE: H.R. No. 157
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Housing and Ocean, Marine Resources, & Hawaiian Affairs, to which was referred H.R. No. 157 entitled:
"HOUSE RESOLUTION URGING THE DEPARTMENT OF HAWAIIAN HOMELANDS TO COMMIT TO PROVIDING HOUSING FIRST FOR NATIVE HAWAIIAN BENEFICIARIES,"
beg leave to report as follows:
(1) Commit to a Housing First agenda and use all its assets, moneys, and personnel to pursue an aggressive program of homebuilding in all forms, including condos, multi-family, and single-family homes; and
(2) Review its grant drawdown procedures and priorities regarding how it spends awarded Federal grant money in meeting the mission of the Department.
The Hawaiian Civic Club of Honolulu, Ho‘omanapono Political Action Committee, Ho‘omana Pono, LLC, and Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i supported this measure. The Department of Hawaiian Home Lands and an individual offered comments on this measure.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting the fifth WHEREAS clause, which describes the method of granting agricultural lots;
(2) Deleting the sixth WHEREAS clause, which asserts that beneficiaries are provided with unusable land and isolated houses; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Housing and Ocean, Marine Resources, & Hawaiian Affairs that are attached to this report, your Committees concur with the intent and purpose of H.R. No. 157, as amended herein, and recommend that it be referred to your Committee on Finance, in the form attached hereto as H.R. No. 157, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Housing and Ocean, Marine Resources, & Hawaiian Affairs,
KANIELA ING, Chair
TOM BROWER, Chair