STAND. COM. REP. NO. 253-18
RE: H.B. No. 929
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health & Human Services, to which was referred H.B. No. 929 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HEALTH,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Adding new requirements to existing sexuality health education;
(2) Requiring the Board of Education and Department of Education to collaborate in developing and publishing a list of appropriate sexuality health education curricula; and
(3) Allowing parents to request that their children not receive the sexuality health education provided in public schools.
For the purposes of facilitating discussion, your Committee solicited a proposed H.B. No. 929, H.D. 1 (Proposed Draft) for public review and comment.
The purpose of the Proposed Draft is to develop and provide adequate information to visitors and residents regarding the dangers of snorkeling by requiring the Department of Land and Natural Resources to adopt rules for the enforcement and regulation of businesses that rent or sell snorkel equipment.
Your Committee considered the merits of this measure, as received by your Committee, and the Proposed Draft, and upon careful consideration, adopted the Proposed Draft with the following amendments:
(1) Changing the effective date to July 1, 3000, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health & Human Services that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 929, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 929, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Education.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health & Human Services,
JOHN M. MIZUNO, Chair