STAND. COM. REP. NO. 109
RE: H.B. No. 844
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Human Services, to which was referred H.B. No. 844 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO YOUTH,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring the Office of Youth Services to coordinate a two-year Safe Places for Youth Pilot Program in partnership with private organizations, to coordinate a network of safe places that youth can access for safety and obtain advice, guidance, programs, and services; and
(2) Establishing and appropriating funds for a coordinator position and for residential options for the pilot program.
The Judiciary, Family Programs Hawaii, Planned Parenthood Votes Northwest and Hawaii, Hawaii Youth Services Network, and several individuals testified in support of this measure. The Office of Youth Services commented on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Defining "youth" as a person less than 18 years of age;
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2075, to facilitate further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Human Services that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 844, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 844, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Human Services,
DEE MORIKAWA, Chair