STAND. COM. REP. NO. 36
RE: H.B. No. 385
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Human Services, to which was referred H.B. No. 385 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAMS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Establishing the R.E.A.C.H. (Resources for Enrichment, Athletics, Culture, and Health) Program within the Office of Youth Services (OYS);
(2) Requiring OYS to provide funding to establish, support, or enhance after-school programs in the middle and intermediate schools, and report to the Legislature annually on the implementation of programs and use of funds under the R.E.A.C.H. Program; and
(3) Establishing the R.E.A.C.H. Special Fund to supplement the costs of administering and operating the R.E.A.C.H. Program.
The Office of the Lieutenant Governor, Department of Education, Hui for Excellence in Education, Hawaii Children's Action Network, Family Programs Hawaii, Maui High School, Kapolei Middle School, and numerous individuals testified in support of this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2075, to facilitate further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Human Services that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 385, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 385, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Human Services,
DEE MORIKAWA, Chair